Sunday, February 24, 2008

not much to say...

... because all week, all I've been doing is working. I still haven't gotten any of these balls out of the air, but I'm working on it. Really, the most exciting thing I've done is get a haircut. The haircut, which I got Friday, isn't even that interesting-- I just got some layers around my face, but overall it looks more or less the same.

If you'd like to read about someone else's exciting life, though, my awesome boyfriend Jim just started a 'blog of his own to document his impending move to Chicago!


Well, in the absence of any real content, have a recipe! I made this last week, and it was delicious.
Garlic Tomato Red Pepper Soup

12 garlic cloves (approx. 1 bulb)
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 red pepper
1 cup (2 small cans) tomato puree
1 pint half-and-half (you could probably use milk if you'd rather, but I like my soups creamy)
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp salt

-Chop the garlic cloves roughly, discarding the woody ends. Mix in a small baking dish with the olive oil. Cover and roast for 30 minutes at 300° F.
-Concurrently, roast the red pepper! Cut it in half, discard the stem, seeds, and webbing (all the bits you don't want to eat) from the inside. Set it, cut-side down, on a baking pan, and (conveniently!) roast for 30 minutes at 300° F.
-When the garlic chunks are browned, remove from the oven and mash them well. Remove the (by now blackened and puckered) skin from the red pepper and chop it into smallish chunks.
-Combine tomato puree, garlic, and peppers in a medium saucepan and boil. Stir it more or less continuously for 30 minutes to keep it from sticking and scorching.
-Add the half-and-half and spices. Stir until smooth and combined, heat through, and serve!