Monday, January 19, 2009

everybody talks about it, but no one does anything about it

(Still don't have internet at home, so updates might be sporadic for the month of January. Apologies!)


Man, it is winter in Ireland! Friday was an absolutely lovely day, sunny and in the high 40s, so I was hoping for a nice weekend-- I had visions of myself ambling around the market, maybe eating a crepe or drinking a coffee, on Saturday afternoon. Alas, it was not to be-- the weekend was incredibly windy and blustery. There were winds up to 70 miles an hour! Lots of trees blew down, and there were warnings on tv and on the radio not to drive because of all the falling limbs. And, of course, there was constant rain and hail. Consequently I spent as much time indoors as possible, not even venturing as far as the college.

Then, this morning, I woke up to see snow! It didn't even melt off until noon! I know, in Michigan right now the snow is literally ass deep, but seeing any snow in Ireland at all is rare. Met Éireann promises "hail, sleet and snow showers in many areas this evening and tonight, with a continuing risk of thunder," and "an unsettled, wintry week ahead." Oh, joy.

No comments: