Sunday, February 21, 2010

Aruba! (Bahama?)

Just a quick post, because I need to get to bed, having a busy week ahead of me...

... because I am going to Aruba this week! Wow!

The reason I get to go is because of Jim's work. He's in sales at Careerbuilder.com, and every year the company takes the top few salespeople on a holiday to Aruba, all expenses paid. And, they get to bring a plus-one! So, lucky me, I get a free vacation! Well, the company didn't pay for my flight from Ireland to Chicago, but the rest is all gratis. Which is pretty unbelievable, really.

I have never been anywhere even remotely near the Caribbean, so I'm really excited. I have been to Florida once (in January, so it wasn't all that hot!), Texas twice, New Orleans once, and San Diego three times, but as far as southern vacations go that's it. I've never been south of the United States, actually-- all my abroad experience has been to the north or east! (Canada, England, and obviously Ireland.) It's been really cold here in Galway lately-- there has been frost on the ground most mornings for the last two weeks-- so this trip is definitely appreciated.

Aruba is an island, about 21 miles long, off the coast of Venezuala. It's officially part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, though it has its own parliament. The island has an arid, desert climate, which really excites me because I've always thought deserts were beautiful! There's a big national park that I'm hoping to see. I think we have a few scheduled activities, but hopefully we'll get a chance to do some hiking. Of course, as long as I can lay on the beach in the sun I'll be happy!

Ok, now time for bed. I have a big week ahead of me after all!

No comments: