Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dang, an update

Ooh hey, new layout! I think this is more thematically appropriate, don't you? Also more relevant to my interests, as I have a bit of an obsession with old maps.


Anyway, in case you were wondering-- the road trip was fantastic. I took over 200 pictures, so I'm still kind of sorting through those... someday I'll put 'em up online. There are a lot of gorgeous ones, owing nothing to my skill with a camera and everything to the rugged natural beauty. Anyway, Jenn and I spent our four days hiking, climbing, and/or rambling around on mountains and cliffs in Ulster. It was a wonderful time. Also full of firsts for both of us-- first time renting a car, first time driving on the other side of the road! I was really nervous about driving for the first two days, but by the end of it I was feeling confident and enjoying myself a lot.


Since getting back, it's mostly been business as usual. My friend Quincy, who lives in New York City, was visiting Galway this weekend, so I spent some time hanging out with him. And my friend Jenn broke up with her boyfriend on Sunday, so I spent some time hanging out with and consoling her. Tomorrow I'm going to a symposium (ie, two lectures, some discussion, and then dinner with bigwigs, with a liberal sprinkling of schmoozing throughout) on Imperialism and Media. This weekend, I'm helping out with a conference ("Empire and Education") at the college-- registering attendees, setting up rooms, directing visitors to the College Bar, etc. Grunt work, but that's what being a grad student is all about, really. After that, back to business until the end of July...

No comments: