Tuesday, October 26, 2010

PhD students need to rock out too

This weekend, I went to a rock concert.

I went with a friend of mine, who is also a doctoral student. I'm studying Irish-American theatre history; he's looking at the Roman empire around the 4th and 5th centuries. We both are the recipients of a prestigious fellowship and have presented at numerous professional conferences. In a few years, if all goes well, we'll both be professors. And this weekend, we went to see the Northern Irish heavy metal/punk band Therapy?, at a small crowded sweaty bar. We headbanged, screamed along with the songs, threw up the horns, and generally rocked the fuck out.

Really, I spend too much time being a Responsible Adult, focused on spending my time in grad school being a Young Professional. I spend so much mental energy learning to be an academic that I sometimes forget that I have a whole 'nother side... a side that likes to go to rock shows and headbang. Letting that side out once in a while is good for the soul.

3 comments:

Dragases said...

Damn, I have to meet that friend of yours. It's quite a relief to know that people doing late Roman history will be a professor so soon!

Meanwhile, I'll stick to a future career in writing and bumming around a lot.

Ayla Zachary said...

Oh you know what I mean. :-P Clearly I was simplifying the story for the sake of brevity and coherence, and "professor" sounds better than "something vaguely academic-ish that might involve writing and/or teaching."

Dragases said...

Next time I'll be using smilies

^___________^