Sunday, November 25, 2007

A taste of Thanksgiving...

This past Thursday, I had my first-ever Thanksgiving away from my family. It was odd, to say the least, especially because over here it isn't a holiday. Still, a bunch of us Americans from my MA group got together for a potluck Thanksgiving dinner. It turned out better than I could have hoped!

There were six of us total: Jen, Meredith, Beth, Meg, Pat (Meg's brother, and not part of our MA,) and me. Everyone brought something, except Jen who was hosting. We didn't have a whole turkey, because there were so few of us and the only turkeys that Meredith could find were 13 pounds; however, Meredith (who is an amazing cook) made four turkey drumsticks and six turkey breasts, and she sliced the turkey breasts and stuffed them! With homemade stuffing, of course.

The spread:

(I made the green bean casserole, top right, and it was delicious!)

Desert was also delicious, and featured an unnecessary amount of pie:

That's an apple pie and a cherry pie, by Beth (who did the lattice crust by hand,) and two different types of pumpkin pie, by Meg.

I don't have a group picture yet-- Meg took one, with the auto-timer on her camera, and promised to email it around, but so far hasn't delivered.

I do, however, have a video!

Backstory: when we were on our Carraroe trip, one of the events was singing. Our favorite song was this one, Bean Pháidín, mostly because of the beginning to the chorus: "SEEEEEEEEEEEEE an trua ghéar nach mise, nach mise..." This video features Meg (left) and Meredith (right) hacking through the Irish and Meredith getting excited about her favorite Irish word ("fuinneog," window.)


Overall, it was a very fun evening. It did make me miss my family quite a lot, though. Back in the 'States, Thanksgiving weekend is always a minor reunion, but over here I spent the weekend reading and researching for my final papers. Well, I'll see them soon enough-- I have less than three weeks before winter break! That, of course, means I have less than two weeks before my finals are all due... *sigh*

No comments: