Tuesday, December 11, 2007

and now for something completely different

I am officially done with my first semester as a postgraduate student. I handed in my last essay yesterday afternoon, after a rather brutal night spent writing it. I have much to talk about in this 'blog... but I'm not going to discuss it today. You can expect more entries this week, breaking from my usual Sunday schedule

Right now, though, instead of Ireland I'm going to talk about America.

I have made up my mind that I am absolutely going to vote for Dennis Kucinich. I've admired him for a long time, and this video made me love him just a little more:


As one of those way-too-many Americans who has no kind of health care whatsoever, I agree that it should be made a priority. This summer, I turned twenty-three and had to go off my parents' insurance, and I certainly can't afford my own right now. I recently informally polled my friends to see how many people in my general age group had health insurance. It was about 60%-- 40% were completely uninsured.

I've heard people joke about elections and say "Who are you voting for?" "A rich person who I have nothing in common with." Dennis Kucinich may get a congressman's salary (I have no idea how much they get paid, but I assume we take care of our Reps, especially as they vote on their own pay) but I feel like he knows where people like me are coming from. Dennis Kucinich has his priorities more in line with what I believe than any candidate I've ever seen.

I know he probably won't win. He's an underdog. Still, I've finally found a candidate who I can actually support. (I voted for Kerry last time. I didn't particularly like him-- I recall the website johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway.com-- but it was really a lesser-of-two-evils situation.) You may think I'm being young and idealistic and throwing away my vote, but it's really not the case. In fact, I'm cynical enough to feel like no one I vote for will ever make it, or make a difference, so I might as well throw my vote away for something I believe in.

Besides, Kucinich lived in a car when he was 17. Now there is a man I feel can understand my needs.

No comments: