Monday, April 28, 2008

exciting times

I have some very exciting news: I have been offered (and accepted) a PhD fellowship!

The fellowship is with the Moore Institute Texts, Contexts & Cultures project. It is a fully-funded research position, covering tuition and a stipend of €16,000 a year for four years! The project I'll be working on, as described by the website:
"Project Five ('Globalisation, Empire and Culture'), led by Dr Lionel Pilkington, will trace some of the relations between European imperialism and media of various types, including newspapers, popular theatre and religious texts. Among its tasks will be the construction of an online archive of primary materials for further study in this area."

The fellowship also includes a teaching position and professional placement-- meaning that they will help me find a job after I get my degree. Wow!

So yes, I am very excited! I get to stay in Galway for the next four years, getting paid to go to school. This is, literally, a dream come true. (I've had dreams about getting the fellowship.)

Forthcoming: a post about my weekend in Jolly Old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way cool, Ayla! I'm excited for you and your new adventures ahead.
Aunt Kiki.