Sunday, April 13, 2008

a much-belated update

I'm sorry I've been so lazy about updating this recently. I have no real excuse, other than being rather busier than usual, and rather lazier than usual when I'm not busy.

Related to this busy-ness (and business)... I am going to be presenting a paper at an academic conference! It's the Postgraduate Irish Studies Symposium at Bath Spa University in Bath, England, on 25 April. It isn't a huge important conference or anything-- just grad students. And the paper presentation can only be 20 minutes, which is hardly anything. (That's about a 7 or 8 page paper.) I'm still very excited, though. It's a great opportunity to get some exposure to the academic world and get some speaking practice in a rather informal environment. I'm going to present a short introduction to my MA thesis work... which means I have to write a short introduction to my MA thesis work. >_< This came up rather suddenly, it's true, and is kind of nerve-wracking. My English final is due 21 April, and my History final is supposed to be due 25 April... but Nessa, the program coordinator for my MA offered me an extension on the History essay. I guess they want to make sure I don't embarrass NUI Galway with a bad paper. :-P

The other fun part about the conference is that it's all-expenses paid by the university. They are paying for my flight, my hotel, and giving me a per diem for food and pocket money! Two other girls from the MA are going-- Katie is also presenting a paper, and Grace is going along just to see the conference and for moral support. One of the PhDs is going as well, with a paper, I believe. So, I basically get a free weekend in England, and I get to present a paper at an academic conference. There really is no downside-- I've never been to England!


Other exciting news...

Last weekend, my parents visited! They got here on Friday 4 April and left early on Monday 7 April, when they proceeded on to Greece and spent the week in Corfu. I am very jealous. They just got back last night from their week-long adventure-- mom called me today and filled me in on their trip. It was wonderful having them visit, even for just a few days. We explored Galway a bit, shopped in the street market, had pints and listened to trad at The Crane, went to the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, and ate a lot of seafood chowder and oysters. (Yum.)


These next two weeks are going to be very, very busy for me. I have papers to write, and a lot of research to do for them. I'm moving soon, by the first week of May most likely (to a gorgeous apartment across the street from the Cathedral.) Such is the life of a grad student!

No comments: