Friday, March 28, 2008

West Galway is a third-world country!

West Galway, where I live, has no water today. Not "no hot water," not "no drinkable water" (like all of Galway over the summer)... no water at all. None coming out of any taps. There was enough this morning for Virginie and I both to (unknowingly) take showers, but after that it ran out. I wish we'd known about the situation! I would have foregone a shower to save water if I'd known.

The Galway City Council website had this to say:
"Galway City Council’s Water Services wish to advise businesses and householders on the Western side of the City (West of Bishop O Donnell Road) who have been experiencing water outages over the last 24 hours, that the major leak has been detected and Galway City Council are currently working on repairing the leak, the problem should be repaired and a full water supply restored to the affected areas within 24hours."

Guess where I live? Bishop O'Donnell Road. The website published a map of the affected area, and I put a black X, circled in green, on where I live.

(It's quite a big image-- click on the small one above to see it more clearly.)
As you can see, I live right on the edge of the zone! I ran into a friend that lives less than a block east of me, and she has water.

This is very strange, and inconvenient. I went to the store and bought eight litres of water, which really does not go as far as you'd think-- I used up over two litres just doing a sinkful of dishes, and that in only about two inches of water. All the big jugs of water were gone by the time I got to the store. They say it should be back on by tomorrow, but that is a long time to go without any water at all.

I'll update again when the water is back on. This is weird.


Edit: The water came back on at around 8:30 pm. They still want us to be conservative with water use, so we're using the bottled water we bought for drinking and cooking and only using the tap water for cleaning. What a weird day.

No comments: