Monday, May 5, 2008

New apartment!

... aaaaaand I'm moved in!

My new housemate, Julia, is awesome. She is 33 and has done a bit of everything-- lived in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, and New York City. Now she's a sales executive for a major cleaning company (she said she doesn't deal with contracts less than €2.5 million), as well as being a part-time publicist. She's very laid-back and friendly, outgoing but not a partier (though she does enjoy a drink down at the pub.) She even says she's going to help me find a job; while we were drinking a cup of tea together, she was throwing out ideas of where I could work.

Already I like living with her much more than with Virginie. Virginie was nice, but also kind of weird and annoying, and we never talked-- I think I can count the number of actual conversations we had on one hand. Also, this apartment is just goddamn beautiful. The living/dining/kitchen room is huge-- it's on the ground floor, and right next to the canal-- if I throw a stone out of my window it will land in the water. There's a large (fenced-in) garden outside, and we have a door to it from the living room. Oh, and it's across the street from the cathedral. Lovely.

The only problem I can see so far is that I haven't been able to figure out how to get the wireless internet to work. Julia isn't sure of the password, but she'll ring the internet guy tomorrow if we can't figure it out. Right now, I have my my lappy in the living room with a cat-5 cable plugged into the router-- if all else fails, I have a 50-foot cat-5 cable that we can run to my room. But that would be a little annoying. Anyway, the internet is also fast! What a luxury.

No comments: