Sunday, May 18, 2008

lazy sunday

It actually hasn't been that lazy, really...

I was awoken this morning by crows outside my window, as I am most mornings. I made some eggs and toast and tea, my normal breakfast, and while I was eating it my housemate came in and said "I'm going to have to ask you to make yourself scarce in about ten minutes!" She works from home and was meeting with a client, and understandably didn't want me underfoot. So I finished up, threw my laptop in my backpack, and headed out. Originally my idea was to find a coffee shop and get some work done, but after walking past two I decided just to meander about for a while.

I walked past the market and across Bridge Street. At the bottom of Dominick street, I could smell the sea on the wind, so I followed it down to the Claddagh. I walked out to the end of the walkway and sat on the wall, with my feet dangling over, listening to music and watching the gulls diving into the bay. I probably sat there, watching the sea and smelling the air and feeling the wind in my hair, for almost half an hour, before my hands started to get cold.

I walked back, crossed the Wolfe Tone bridge, and wandered through the Docks for a while, before my meanderings took me to Shop Street. As I walked through the pedestrian areas, I passed two friends sitting outside at Neachtain's, the oldest pub in Galway. I chatted with them for a minute before continuing on. I looped back around, crossed the Wolfe Tone Bridge again, walked up Dominick Street, and ran into one of the same friends again. He gave me suggestions for how to kill time, and then I headed back up to Mary Street.

On Mary Street, which is no more than five minutes from my flat, there is a coffee shop that I pass a lot but have never gone into-- I think it's just called "Java." I went in, had a cup of coffee, and updated my CV. (I'm hoping to get a job soon.) After putting the final formatting touches on the CV, and marveling for a moment at the weird job history I have, I put the laptop away, paid for the coffee, and walked back, past my flat to the college. I printed the CV at the library, checked my email using the wireless there, and then headed home.

... And that's been my day! This week has been far more interesting than that, really-- two poetry readings, a great concert, new friends, &c.-- but readers of the 'blog are surely quite familiar with my tales of indie bands at the Crane and poetry jams at Sheridan's and don't really need to read another.

No comments: