Tuesday, June 3, 2008

This Tuesday morning, coming at you LIVE from the James L. Hardiman library!

Am I a bad female scholar, in that I'm not particularly interested in feminist criticism? Seriously, being both a woman and literary scholar, I sometimes feel like I'm almost expected to be fixated on the representation of women in whatever text I'm looking at. But I really, honestly, don't care... not that I don't think it's an important area, just that it's not my thing. That and it's really been done to death. Postcolonial theory, that's where it's at.


(NB: Remember I don't mean any sort of political1 meaning of the word "feminist." In literary criticism, it simply means "looking at the way women are represented.")




1: That is, insofar as anything to do with literature can be apolitical.

No comments: