Sunday, June 1, 2008

workin' hard (and/or hardly working)

We have a new roommate! A lovely young lady named Mary has moved in. She's from Australia and is a friend of Julia's, and she's really nice. Also, she has five tattoos... so now there are three dark-haired tattooed women living at 6 Earls Island.

This week has been almost entirely devoted to working on the first chapter of my thesis. With the exception of seeing the new Indiana Jones film on Tuesday, going out dancing on Thursday night, and spending much of Saturday reading for enjoyment and watching old episodes of Doctor Who (hey, I have to get something out of the weekend), I have spent most of the week at the library, reading and writing. (I have about 13 or 14 pages so far, and the chapter is about half done, I'd say.)

Today, it was gorgeous outside, hot and sunny, so for most of the early afternoon Julie and I laid out in the garden in our bathing suits, enjoying the sunshine. I took the time to work on my thesis some more, bringing my laptop outside. (And I discovered that the wireless signal is just as strong out there as it is in my room!) After getting too hot, I went and sat at Java's for a couple hours, where I got a pot of tea and worked on my thesis a bit more.

Things learned today:
-Stephen Watt is one of the best critical writers on Irish melodrama.
-My favorite black tea is Assam.

No comments: