Sunday, November 29, 2009

Guest Blogger: Jim Markus


Visiting Ayla has been as much a delight as I had hoped. My second vacation to Ireland this year has included a trip to Dublin, the book of Kells, Grafton street, the Galway market (twice!), and an American Irish British Turkey Thanksgiving Dinner Extravaganza (AIBTTDE).

Even though it is only my second visit to the emerald isle, I already feel like I understand the ways and means of travel here. Buses run late because of flooding. Trains offer to book specific seats, but nobody cares where they sit. The tram in Dublin overflows with humans before and after Rugby games.

Everyone has been remarkably gregarious. The Galway accent make words like "slab" sound like "schlahb" and at least one Irish boy says "tree" instead of "three". Ayla assures me this is more of an "East-Midlands" pronunciation, but I think it should be universal. Also, I will be ordering Schlahbs of Tahrt with Teh whenever I can.

Until next time, I bid you good health and comfortable prosperity.


------------
Jim Markus is a traveling writer, student, and business consultant from Chicago, Illinois. He can normally be found behind a chess set, though he insists that he has never actually played before.

No comments: